Here is a snapshot of the timeline we followed for marketing, the application being opened, and accepting people into the program:
- Oct 11, all faculty were informed of the Fellowship
- Oct 11-Nov 4, the application was open
- Nov 4, the deadline for applying to the Fellowship
- Nov 14, sent invitations to accepted applicants
- Nov 18, the deadline for accepted applicants to confirm participation in the Fellowship
Invitation to Participate
All JMU Faculty were informed of the opportunity to apply to participate in this Open Pedagogy Fellowship through a Libraries’ newsletter. Here is the marketing blurb we included in the newsletter:
Deepen your experience with open pedagogy and open educational resources. Join this JMU learning community, which will run from Spring 2023 to Spring 2024. Participants will receive a $1500 stipend for active participation in the fellowship.
Learn more or apply by November 4.
JMU Libraries’ website page
The newsletter linked to a page on the JMU Libraries’ website that included the following longer description and the link to the Fellowship application.
Faculty who are interested in “opening up” their teaching are invited to engage in a learning community with JMU colleagues beginning in Spring 2023. Each participant will receive a $1500 stipend for their work and participation in the fellowship.
Based on a fellowship model that centers community building, this program will include a mix of asynchronous and synchronous work. It is intentionally designed to be a slow-paced and supportive environment that fosters curiosity, exploration, and growth.
During the fellowship, you will be supported as you progress toward the learning outcomes (below) and engage with the “Open” community locally and globally. You will also have the opportunity to participate in collaborative scholarly activities related to this work, such as submitting a proposal for OpenEd24 or another appropriate conference.
The three phases of this fellowship will occur from Spring 2023 through Spring 2024. Three synchronous sessions are scheduled in the afternoons of February 22, March 29, and September 6, 2023. After implementation during the Spring of 2024, faculty will come back together to share their work and progress as a way of evolving their open educational practices.
We anticipate being able to support 6 to 8 faculty members in 2023-24.
We invite you to complete the application, which should take 15-20 minutes, between October 11 and November 4, 2022. Please note that, in recognition of the time commitment involved, fellowship participation will require a signed agreement with your AUH and dean’s office.
You will make progress toward these learning outcomes:
- Deepen your experience with Open Pedagogy and Open Educational Resources to identify your own path.
- Critically analyze your pedagogical, curricular, and assessment choices through a social justice lens.
- Improve equity in the classroom through your pedagogical, curricular, and assessment choices.
- Create pedagogical, curricular, and/or assessment materials to share with your community.